After more than forty thousand years of war and strife among the stars, Humanity stands on the brink of extinction. Beset on all sides by hostile aliens and threatened from within by traitors, Humanity’s only chance for survival rests with the continuation of the cruel and bloody regime known as the Imperium. Yet few among Mankind’s untold population realise the full truth of their situation. If there is any future at all, it is a grim one…
A 280-page hardback, this is the essential book for any fan of Warhammer 40,000 – everything you need to know to collect, build, paint and play with Citadel miniatures.
The Core Rules explain everything you need to play to play Warhammer 40,000. Moving, shooting, using psychic powers, charging, fighting and morale tests are covered, giving you the basic framework to play with. You can play a game using only these 8 pages, bolting on more advanced and complex rules when you and your opponent are ready.
Three Ways to Play
- Open Play – pick some models, put them on the table and begin a game. This is the most flexible approach, designed with near-limitless possibilities; all you need is some models, their datasheets and the core rules. Included are some themes and ideas you can use or build upon to add atmosphere to your games, and 3 example missions.
- Narrative Play – Warhammer 40,000 has a vast, rich history with countless epic battles. Narrative Play is designed to let you and your friends re-enact those battles at your leisure. There are special rules to help you do this, such as Concealed Deployment and unpredictable, random battle lengths, and the book includes several missions - 6 Crucible of War missions and 1 Echoes of War mission, each showing you how to play in this style.
- Matched Play – for many players, Warhammer 40,000 is an opportunity to prove their mettle with tactics and strategy, an exercise in out-thinking and out-gunning their opponent with balanced, equal armies: Matched Play is for them. There are several ways to ensure that your forces are balanced against each other – a points limit is the typical way, but the system is flexible enough to allow armies based on unit numbers, Power Ratings, Wounds; as long as your limits are agreed, the possibilities are manifold. This book provides details on choosing your armies, and provides missions as examples of the tactical challenges available: 6 Eternal War and 6 Maelstrom of War missions, with explanations covering the use of Tactical Objectives.
While the Core Rules provide with you with everything needed to play, the Advanced Rules are a selection of rules and expansions that can be used to play with your miniatures the way that you want to. With these rules, there are always new challenges to face, new battles to fight, and new ways to play:
- Battle-Forged Armies: organise your models in a way that reflects the armies of Warhammer 40,000 – this places restrictions on your army, but makes up for it with powerful benefits, which use a system of Command Points;
- Battlefield Terrain: rules for a variety of terrains (Woods, Ruins, Barricades, Obstacles, Imperial Statuary, Fuel Pipes, Battlescape and Hills), each of which introduce scenarios and opportunities that change the nature of battle;
- Battlezones: rules for fighting amidst the effects of otherworldly environments, including low visibility, beneath an apocalyptic orbital battle and in the middle of a devastating psychic maelstrom;
- Planetstrike: slam down from orbit in a terrifying planetary assault. Two players are separated into Attacker and Defender, with scenarios that play out a full incursion and a Planetfall mission;
- Cities of Death: street fighting in the ruins of a shattered city, with buildings bitterly fought over – the claustrophobia of urban warfare makes for tense battles with snipers and grenades coming to the fore. Includes a Firesweep mission for playing out room-to-room combat;
- Stronghold Assault: dig in for a game of fortified siege warfare. One player seeks to overwhelm the prepared defences of another, with a Bunker Assault mission included;
- Death From the Skies: dogfighting for your Flyer models, allowing the recreation of epic clashes above the battlefield. A Tactical Strike mission involves a defence against a bombing run;
- Multiplayer Battles: rules accommodating three (or more!) players, with an example of a multiplayer battle to work from;
- Campaigns: an overview of linking your games into Tree, Matrix and Map campaigns.
The book contains a full detailing of the state of the galaxy after the events of the Gathering Storm – the major players, the struggles they face and the sheer grimness of eternal war, as Chaos threatens to engulf Humanity.
The Imperium of Man
Details of the various worlds within the Imperium, explanations of the Ecclesiarchy – the official state religion of the Imperium, and the Ages of Mankind, with maps of important locations within the galaxy showing in stark detail how the Great Rift may have doomed Humanity forever.
There’s also an in-depth account of the current state of the Imperium – the increased threat from Chaos and the steps being taken in order to counter them.
The Forces of Chaos
You’ll find an explanation of the Chaos Gods – who they are, their motivations and their methods – along with the vile armies of the Heretic Astartes: Space Marines, once loyal, who now blindly follow the corrupt lure of Chaos, debasing themselves in battle for their dark masters.
The Xenos Threat
This book provides an overview of the major alien antagonists who populate the galaxy – the Aeldari (Craftworld, Harlequins, Ynnari and Drukhari), Necrons, Orks, Tyranids, Genestealer Cults and T’au Empire. Each of these includes their backstory and guides to their equipment, hierarchies and weapons of war.
FREE SHIPPING ELIGIBILITY
Orders containing Pre-Order items will be held until ALL products in the order have been released.
Pre-Orders are paid in full at time of checkout.
ORDER ADJUSTMENTS (SHIPPING OR DELIVERY ADDRESS CHANGES)
Changes to existing orders can be made by contacting The Hooded Goblin shipping department at email@example.com.
Address changes must be made by a member of staff. Changing the information on your account will not change the order details on our end. You must email or call us if you need to update this information.
Please try to give as much advance notice as possible if you are moving or changing addresses and have outstanding orders with us.
QUANTITY & ORDER ADJUSTMENTS
We reserve the right to adjust the quantities of products ordered. These decisions will be made on a case by case basis and you will be notified of any changes made to your order. This pertains to and is not limited to "buyouts" and other orders involving the sale of high demand products. If an order is deemed to be for resale purposes it may also be subject to a potential adjustment.
WHERE DO WE DELIVER?
Currently we ship anywhere within Canada.
WHEN WILL MY ORDER SHIP/ BE DELIVERED?
Please allow 1-3 business days for your order to process and ship. We are always doing our best to make sure your order is sent as quickly as possible! We are also not open Monday's so please calculate that into your shipping estimates.
NAME, ADDRESS AND PHONE VERIFICATION (SECURITY CHECK)
Orders may be subject to a name, address, and phone verification with the issuing bank of the credit card. If there are any discrepancies or errors that arise from this process we will attempt to contact you to resolve the issue. Credit or Debit cards issued outside the USA or Canada are not accepted as we cannot perform this step if necessary.
You can provide special delivery instructions in the notes section provided at checkout. If you have a last minute change/request or instructions which require special attention please contact us at (289) 891 6493.
At checkout you will have the option to select In-Store Pickup at our brick-and-mortar location. Your order will be held for at least one month after processing. You must show valid Photo ID when picking up your order. If you would like to designate someone else to pick up your order on your behalf you must leave their name in the order notes or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with their name and your order number.
SHIPPING TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
We are currently not shipping to the US.
We are not responsible for any customs, duties, or other fees incurred after the initial transaction has processed.
All orders are subject to product availability. If an item is not in stock/over sold when your order is placed, we will attempt to contact you and remove the item from your order.
All orders are taxed according to your Province, Territory or State.
DAMAGED ITEMS RECEIVED
In the unfortunate event that you receive any damaged items in your parcel, please contact us at email@example.com or call us at (289) 891 6493with your order number and a description of the problem. Please also provide a photo of the problem if possible.
If the parcel you receive is damaged please document that as well so that we can be reimbursed by the carrier. We will gladly exchange, return or discount any damaged items.
ONLINE SALES RETURNS
Should you decide you do not want a product within 15 days of delivery or pick-up we will gladly offer a refund upon return of the product. You will be responsible for any shipping costs associated with the return. We do not accept returns on Trading Card Game singles, Trading Card Game sealed product and Sports product.
OVERSIZED ORDERS, SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES OR REMOTE LOCATIONS
In certain extraneous cases, additional shipping charges may be required. In these situations you will be contacted to arrange payment. If you wish to cancel your order at this time we will offer a full refund.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.